DAVIDSON, N.C. – UNCG men’s tennis used a late win from Ian Melnik (Lawrenceville, Ga./Rivers Academy) to secure a 4-3 victory over the Davidson Wildcats at XXXX Thursday afternoon. UNCG took the doubles point and Melnik won his tiebreaker to help UNCG earn the victory. The Spartans improve to 8-12 on the season, while Davidson falls to 15-7.
UNCG got on the board first, notching wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles to earn the point. The pair of Connor Thompson (Atlanta, Ga./Holy Innocents) and William Albright (Greensboro, N.C./Grimsley) defeated Axel Fries and J.B Gough, 6-3. Marcus Vidgren (Stockholm, Sweden/Stockholm Idrotts Gymnasium) and Jack Burkill (London, Great Britain/Millfield School) solidified the victory with a 6-4 win over Shamael Chaudhry and David Hager. UNCG didn’t get the sweep as the No. 3 pairing of Logan Walker (Stuart, Fla./Morningside Academy) and Warren Bryan (Greensboro, N.C./Longwood) and Jordan Hart and Ricky Saad did not finish the match.
The Spartans were able to split the six singles matches, getting the late win from Melnik at No. 6. Melnik Earned a 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (8) victory over Thomas Mason. Thompson defeated Chaudhry in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1. The other Spartan victory came from Bryan who knocked off Gough, 6-1, 6-2 at No. 3.
- Connor Thompson (UNCG-M) def. Shamael Chaudhry (DAV) 6-4, 6-1
- David Hager (DAV) def. William Albright (UNCG-M) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Axel Fries (DAV) def. Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 6-1, 6-2
- Daniel Hammarstedt (UNCG-M) def. J.B. Gough (DAV) 6-2, 6-3
- Artem Khrapko (DAV) def. Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
- Ian Melnik (UNCG-M) def. Thomas Mason (DAV) 6-1, 3-6, 7-6 (10-8)
- Connor Thompson/William Albright (UNCG-M) def. Axel Fries/J.B. Gough (DAV) 6-3
- Marcus Vidgren/Jack Burkill (UNCG-M) def. David Hager/Shamael Chaudhry (DAV) 6-4
- Ricky Saad/Jordan Hart (DAV) vs. Logan Walker/Warren Bryan (UNCG-M) 5-4, unfinished